"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win."It's starting to smell like a fight, isn't it? And since the Free State Project won't even officially land in NH until the 20,000 participants are secured, rather ahead of even the most optimistic schedule, too...
NH state representative Cynthia Chase, fearful of losing something, launched something of a firestorm in December 2012 when she advocated in a comment on NH progressive forum BlueHampshire.com (archived here) that people who disagree with her politically should have their freedoms legislated away (but don't stop there -- there's more gold to be found in that thread...).
Because of that exhibited fear of "the single biggest threat the state is facing today," the Free State Project has received a considerable bump in interest.
Consequently, this day activists express their heartfelt gratitude to Ms Chase with the delivery of a lovely flower arrangement to her at the first meeting of her House committee, Children and Family Law, 1/9/2013.
Here's some press surrounding the brouhaha (your humble chronicler really likes saying "brouhaha"...):
- “Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today.” – State Rep Cynthia Chase - Free Keene from 12/25/2012
- Libertarians Not Welcome Here, Says NH State Rep - YouTube from 12/28
- New Hampshire Legislator: We Need to 'Restrict Freedoms' of Conservatives from 1/3/2013
- New Hampshire Democrat seeks to restrict freedom for conservatives, media silent - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com from 1/4
- Democrat Terie Norelli Brings Civility To the New Hampshire House? — GraniteGrok
- Co-opting our way of life - Fosters.com from 1/8 (Don't forget the comments...)
- Blog post takes aim at Free State effort - SentinelSource.com: Local News from 1/9
- Flowers Sent to Cyntha Chase, Thanking Her for Boosting FSP Recruiting - Free Keene from 1/9
- Where Does the Hatred of Constitutionalism Come From? from 1/10
- New Hampshire becomes New Hateshire - National Libertarian news | Examiner.com from 1/10
- FOX News on Cynthia Chase vs. Free Staters - YouTube from 1/11
- FSP has some growing up to do - Fosters.com from 1/12 (and those comments again)
- The greater threat: Free Staters or dictators? | New Hampshire OPINION01 from 1/13 (UL, there are only 2 ways to do anything: voluntarily or by force. No third way. I prefer voluntarily. Which do you choose...?)
- Opinion: Is the Free State Project an Existential Threat to New Hampshire? « New Hampshire Journal from 1/15
- FSP News January 2013 from 1/16
- WBIN Reports on Cynthia Chase Controversy with Ian and Mark of "Free Talk Live" - YouTube from 1/16
- Petition calls for censure, impeachment of N.H. representative over Free State Project comment | Concord Monitor from 1/29
- Manchester state rep's tweet leads to war of words over Free Staters | New Hampshire NEWS06 from 1/29